August 22, 2011

The Beginning

I should start at the beginning.

My name is Courtney, and I have a slight baking addiction. But only when I'm stressed!
Seriously!

The problem with me is that I LOVE sugar. If it's a dessert, I will eat it. There is nothing I love more than a good cookie. Except a cake. Or a pie. Or a cheesecake... Or a blondie a la mode.... I love blondies.

I also love carbs. Cornbread. Pasta. Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potato casserole. You get the idea.

The real problem here isn't me, though. 



It's my husband. He's decided to go on the low carb diet to lose some weight. A good thing for his health, yes. But it is terrible for my relationship with my Kitchenaid mixer. I haven't used her in a few weeks. It's devastating, really.


My other problem is that my husband is super brilliant. So, in a year when he finishes his masters, I expect he'll drag me off to Massachusetts or California so he can go get a super awesome science-y doctorate.


Thus, I have two three missions:


1. Learn how to master the arts of Tex-Mex and barbecue before I'm surrounded by people who don't know the difference between chimichanga and a chile relleno. (Apparently, auto-correct is a yankee. It thinks "chimichanga" should be "Michiganite.")
2. Find lots of new yummy dinners to cook for the hubby without making me miss the stuffed pasta shells, the baked potato casserole, and the cornbread.
3. Become the master of self control. No stress baking for me.



There are a few other things you should know about me before we begin this Tex-Mex/barbecue/low carb/self control journey.


First, I'm from Texas. If you ever say anything bad about Texas, expect lots of anger. And rejection. I will probably pretend you don't exist.

Second, I have a slight reality TV addiction. Please disregard all mentions of the Real Housewives, The Bachelor(ette), etc. I know I have a problem. No need to point it out. 

Third, almost every meal I cook involves me making a mess at some point. And it is usually an annoying one to clean up. Balance and grace is another thing I am trying to work on. Expect entertaining anecdotes. 

Finally, I am studying for the CPA exam beginning this semester, which is extremely stressful. Therefore, I will probably be really bad about not stress baking. So please, encouraging words only.


What should you expect from this blog?
1. Yummy recipes for the low carber and the sad roommate of the low carber.
2. The occasional dessert for when I have buddies come over.
3. Humorous anecdotes of the failures I usually have in the kitchen. (Most of my failures come in the form of messes, not yucky food. I probably won't share yucky foods. Unless I have a funny story. Which could happen. But I'll warn you ahead of time. I promise.)


What will be far, far, far away from this blog?
Fish, mushrooms, Asian cuisine, and mayonnaise. These foods are not my friends. I avoid them at all costs.


What's on the menu for tomorrow?
Roast. Sans potatoes. (Sad day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment