November 13, 2011

Brisket, Two Ways: Part 2

At long last, I FINALLY have the opportunity to sit down and blog about the second way to eat your brisket. My last post was 10/24 and today it is 11/13. The last several weeks have been wrought with very trying times in class. Projects and tests are practically coming out my years. This has been perhaps the LONGEST semester of my college career. I have never wanted school to be over so badly. The worst part is that even though I will be done with every degree I need in May, I will still need to study, because I have the stupid CPA exam. *Sigh* I can't wait for this part of my life to be over. I'm ready to just work.

Anyway, on Tuesday I get yet another project, and tomorrow I have ample studying to do, so I thought that at this late hour (10:40 PM), I would take this scarce and brief opportunity to expose you to the absolute delight that is Brisket Tacos.

Despite offering cookies, only ONE person took a stab at what the second way was. I don't understand you people. A simple guess with the possibility of COOKIES attached to it! Why wouldn't someone guess for that? I would guess for one cookie, let alone a whole batch... Y'all are weird. ;)


This is the epic awesome-ness that awaits you if you dare to make the AMAZING DELICIOUS FANTABULOUS tacos!!!

 


Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is. I want more now. It's been too long since I ate these...

You can find directions on how to make brisket here. After you make the brisket, you have two options.

Number one: Eat the first meal of brisket the normal way then save the left overs. When you save the leftovers, you need to save the juices in a separate container from the meat. Shred the leftover meat, now while it's still a little warm. It's easier that way. Then, save it in another container. After that, proceed to directions for brisket tacos on next meal time.

Number two: After cooking brisket for hours and hours and removing visible fat, shred brisket to the consistency pictured above. Ladle juices into ramekins or other small bowls and keep warm. Then, proceed to brisket tacos instructions.

If you're making these on a different day than you cooked the brisket, you will feel like this is so easy. It took me about 20 minutes to throw this all together. If you're making the tacos the same day you make the brisket, this might feel endless to you, but I promise, it is completely worth it!

Here's what you'll need: left over brisket, left over juices, a lime or two or three, tortillas, and cheddar cheese.

If you're making this on day two or later, there will be crusty, gross grease hardened and floating atop your juices. You could leave the grease alone if you want to, but I chose to get a spoon and ladle the grease out of the bowl. Put the remaining part of your juices in a small sauce pan on the stove to warm while you're doing the rest of your stuff. I set it to medium heat, an it was the perfect temperature when all was said and done. This looks totally disgusting when you first throw it in, but I promise this is normal looking and totally delicious at the end. Give this a stir every once in a while as you prepare the other things.


These are best if your tortillas are warm. I wrap mine in foil and set the oven to 200. Around ten minutes in, I switched the setting to warm so they wouldn't get to dry. If you're on the low carb diet, you should know, these mission "flour" tortillas taste exactly like the real thing. (And that's coming from someone who still consumes carbs happily.)


You'll also need to heat your meat back up. Do it on the skillet over medium high heat. If you're doing this on day two or later, add a small splash of water. If you're doing this on day one, skip this step entirely. Your meat is already warm.



While you're waiting on this business to look more appetizing and easy to separate and warm, go ahead and slice your limes. I think I had about a pound of meat and used a lime and a half.


After about ten or fifteen minutes, your juices and your meat will be completely normal looking. They still won't be quite warm enough yet. But see how normal looking they are?



At this point, go ahead and start adding your lime juice. (If you're making this the same day you're making the whole brisket, don't feel like you need to mix the lime in with the meat. Just put some lime wedges on peoples' plates and they can add lime if they want.)

Give your meat and juices a little more time over the heat. It should take a total of 20-25 minutes. While you're waiting for some time to pass, why don't you grate some delicious medium or sharp cheddar cheese?


You'll have to stop grating every once in a while to give your meat and juices a stir, but that won't take very long. By the time you finish grating your cheese, your meat and juices will probably be sufficiently warm.

And voila!


 To eat these, hold the taco together and dip in the juices, like so:

Enjoy!

Brisket Tacos:

brisket
juices
limes
cheddar cheese
tortillas

If you are preparing the same day you cooked the brisket:
1. Warm tortillas in oven or microwave.
2. Shred brisket.
3. Grate Cheese.
4. Slice limes.
5. Pour juices into ramekins or other small bowls. (Each person should have their own.)
5. Put meat and cheese on tortilla. Fold in half.
6. Serve on plate with ramekins of juices and limes.
7. Squeeze limes on meat, if desired.
If you are preparing at later date: 
1. Warm tortillas in oven.
2. Warm juices over medium heat in small sauce pan.
3. Warm meat with a splash of water over medium-high heat.
4. Grate cheese and slice limes.
5. Add desired amount of lime juice to meat. (I used a lime and a half for about a pound of meat.)
6. When juices and meat have been thoroughly warmed, pour juices into ramekins.
7. Put meat and cheese on tortillas and fold in half. Serve on plate with ramekins of juices and, if desired, additional lime wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment