September 1, 2011

Italian Beef with Alfredo

Look at this. You want it. Don't you?


If there is one thing my husband loves, it is alfredo sauce. If there is one thing I hate, it is the effects of alfredo sauce.

Imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon this: a 160 calorie per serving alfredo sauce recipe.


The only downside is that this has some flour in it, which Drew cannot eat. (I am so sick of this low carb diet!) I tried the recipe out anyway, though. After all, Drew won't be on his diet forever.

This turned out to have the consistency of country gravy than alfredo sauce. Woo hoo! That meant I could 86 part of flour! Yay! Additionally, the recipe was very bland. So, with a few alterations this is the alfredo recipe I have for you. (Oh, yeah, and the meat, too.)

First, the meat, as this is the most time consuming part of the recipe. 

I used 1.5 lbs ground beef (93% lean) formed into 8 patties.




Next, mix up your spices. I used 1 t each of kosher salt, pepper, and parsley, plus 1 1/2 t oregano and 2 t basil.





Then rub your spice into both sides of your meat. Don't be worried about not putting enough on each patty. You'll see a lot of the spices again in the alfredo.


Now, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Also, put your patties on a large skillet with some EVOO (That's extra virgin olive oil for those of you who don't watch Rachael Ray.)

Just brown them on each side for four-ish minutes.


Then, pile all 8 into the skillet at once. I got all 8 in mine without them setting on top of each other. I think my skillet is a 14 inch, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Pop those suckers into the oven for thirty minutes.

This is a good time to start your vegetable if you have one. I was going to make asparagus, but alas the store was out! Out of asparagus!!! What is wrong with that store?!?

I was so disappointed by the lack of asparagus, I actually forgot to start sauteing my green beans at this point! That's okay, though. I'll fix them on Saturday.

Now for the alfredo sauce:

You'll need butter, flour, half & half, parmesan cheese (I like to use "world classics" brand.), and spices. Spices include garlic salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.

Start with your butter. Melt it in a giant pot!


Mix it with 1/4 C of flour when the butter is all melted and awesome smelling.

Don't be ashamed to sniff that butter. Everyone knows butter is what heaven smells like...


Whisk like crazy! When you're done, your butter and flour should look like this:


Add your half & half.


Whisk like mad some more! And add your grated cheese and whisk some more!


Throw in your spices. I probably used about 1/2 t each of the pepper, oregano, and basil and 1 t of garlic salt. I really just did it to taste, though. Adjust as needed. (Besides, everyone knows your taste-testing bites don't count as real calories... You know you want to get it wrong the first few times. Right? Of course right.)
;)


Keep the heat on medium to medium-high. It'll help the mixture thicken to the appropriate amount. It generally takes mine 3-5 minutes to thicken properly. Usually, by the time it's the appropriate thickness, the meat has been in for 30 minutes, and it's time to take it out of the oven.

See how delicious that looks?


Cover in plenty of alfredo.



Mmmm... Look at that.

I can't wait to eat it!

I wish it was dinner time all over again...





Italian Meat

Ingredients:
1.5 lb lean ground beef, formed into 8 patties
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 t parsley
1.5 t oregano
2 t basil

1. Mix spices together and rub into each side of the patties.
2. Put some EVOO in your skillet and brown each patty, about 4 minutes per side.
3. Put patties in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.


Alfredo
1/4 C butter (half a stick)
1/4 C flour
1 package grated parmesan cheese (World Classics brand is a great one.)
4 C half & half
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1 t of garlic salt

1. Melt butter on medium to medium-high heat. Whisk in flour.
2. Pour in half & half. Whisk together.
3. Whisk in parmesan slowly.
4. Add spices.
5. Boil until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Taste and adjust spices as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment